The Gilroy Unified School District desires to provide enrollment options that meet the diverse needs and interests of students and parents/guardians.
GUSD will attempt to accommodate all requests for school transfers based on program and classroom space availability, and in accordance with law, Board policy and administrative regulation.
Any interdistrict transfer request received 15 or fewer calendar days before the start of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought-- the "current year" interdistrict transfer request-- Gilroy Unified School District must notify parents of its final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request.
For requests received 16 or more calendar days before commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, Gilroy Unified School District must notify parents as soon as possible, but not later than 14 calendar days after the start of instruction in that school year.
If a request for the current or future year transfer is denied, Gilroy Unified School District must notify parents, in writing, of their right to appeal the denial within 30 calendar days to Santa Clara County Board of Education.
- GUSD Board Policies on interdistrict transfers
- Why GUSD may approve or deny an interdistrict transfer request
- Failure to meet GUSD's established timelines
Gilroy USD Board Policy
The Governing Board recognizes that parents/guardians of students who reside within the geographic boundaries of one district may, for a variety of reasons, desire to enroll their children in a school in another district.
- (cf. 5111.1 - District Residency)
- (cf. 5116.1 - Intradistrict Open Enrollment)
- (cf. 5118 - Open Enrollment Act Transfers)
Interdistrict Attendance Permits
The Board may enter into an agreement with any other school district, for a term not to exceed five school years, for the interdistrict attendance of students who are residents of the districts. (Education Code 46600)
The agreement shall specify the terms and conditions under which interdistrict attendance shall be permitted or denied. It also may contain standards agreed to by both districts for reapplication and/or revocation of the student's permit. (Education Code 46600)
Upon receiving a permit for transfer into the district that has been approved by the student's district of residence, or upon receiving a written request from the parent/guardian of a district student who wishes to enroll in another district, the Superintendent or designee shall review the request and may approve or deny the permit subject to the terms and conditions of the interdistrict attendance agreement.
- 41020 Annual district audits
- 46600-46611 Interdistrict attendance agreements
- 48204 Residency requirements for school attendance
- 48300 48317 Student attendance alternatives, school district of choice program
- 48350-48361 Open Enrollment Act
- 48900 Grounds for suspension or expulsion; definition of bullying 48915 Expulsion; particular circumstances
- 48915.1 Expelled individuals: enrollment in another district
- 48918 Rules governing expulsion procedures
- 48980 Notice at beginning of term
- 52317 Regional occupational center/program, enrollment of students, interdistrict attendance
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION Article 1, Section 31 Nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin
ATTORNEY GENERAL OPINIONS
- 87 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 132 (2004)
- 84 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 198 (2001)
- Walnut Valley Unified School District v. the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, (2011) 192 Cal.App.4th 234
- Crawford v. Huntington Beach Union High School District, (2002) 98 Cal.App.4th 1275
- CSBA: http://www.csba.org
- California Department of Education: http://www.cde.ca.gov
Policy GILROY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT adopted: February 15, 2018 Gilroy, California
What is an Interdistrict Transfer?
Interdistrict transfers are for students who reside outside of the GUSD boundaries and request to transfer into a GUSD school.
Interdistrict transfer requests for the current (2018-2019) school year and following (2019-2020) school year are ongoing.
The application process to submit an interdistrict transfer request for the 2020-2021 school year begins mid-January 2020.