VIRTUAL LEARNING ACADEMY
A full-time online learning option for 6th-12th grades
The Gilroy Unified School District offers an additional educational option for families and students who are interested in independent learning opportunities. The GUSD Virtual Learning Academy is a full-time, independent, online-learning option for students in grades 6-12. The Virtual Learning Academy is the only education option for students enrolled in the Gilroy Unified School District. Please complete this application to apply to the Virtual Learning Academy, and a member of our team will contact you. Note: completed VLA applications include one letter of recommendation.
Through collaboration with caregivers and teachers, the Gilroy Unified School District is offering the Virtual Learning Academy (VLA), a quality educational experience for grades 6-12, as an alternative option to distance learning.
GUSD Virtual Learning Academy courses are available through Courseware, a research-based accredited curriculum, that is part of Edmentum, an online learning provider. Students enrolled in the GUSD Virtual Learning Academy will:
- Access courses 24/7, from any computer connected to the Internet
- Work closely with experienced GUSD teachers
- Participate in engaging activities designed to meet the needs of all learners
- Stay on track with pacing and progress-monitoring tools
- Have access to curriculum in grades 6-12 including core courses, electives, & more
- Remain part of an assigned school community, including athletics and activities
Commitment: Semester-long commitment offers students and families a flexible learning schedule during the school year.
Support: Students will be supported by a GUSD teacher with core subject area content and enrichment opportunities.
Specialized programs are not available.
At home: Caregivers will be the learning coaches for their children as they work through online course materials.
Partnership: GUSD has partnered with Edmentum, a fully-accredited virtual curriculum provider.
Curriculum: Prescribed curriculum through Edmentum (Courseware for 6-12).
Daily attendance is mandatory and will be recorded by teachers. A-F grades will be assigned to students in middle and high school.
|Social Studies||30 minutes*|
|Elective/ Enrichment||30-60 minutes*|
Plus teacher instructional support daily
* approximation of time each day
Caregivers are critical in their child's educational success in GUSD's VLA.
The time commitment varies, but caregiver support is essential
What to expect
A student enrolled in the virtual academy will:
- Access courses 24/7, from any computer connected to the Internet; many courses are optimized for mobile devices, including tablets.
- Work closely with supportive, GUSD teachers who are committed to building strong relationships with both students and caregivers.
- Have access to curriculum, including core courses, electives, career and technical education, and advanced courses.
- Participate in engaging activities designed to meet the needs of all learners, including videos, audio content, and problem-based interactive lessons.
- Stay on track with pacing and progress-monitoring tools.
- Remain part of the school community, including participation in activities and athletics open to any GUSD student, if applicable.
All requests to attend the VLA are evaluated and approved or denied by the District consistent with applicable state and federal laws.
Requests to return to a GUSD school or to join the VLA during the year will be considered based upon space availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the GUSD Virtual Learning Academy (VLA)?
- Are specialized programs available in the VLA (GECA, MMHS, dual immersion, agriculture, Computer Science Academy, Biomedical Academy, music etc…)?
- Is attendance important?
- What if my student has an IEP or 504?
- Is the program taught by GUSD teachers?
- Will students receive grades in this program?
- Will high school classes in the VLA meet college entrance requirements?
- Can a student return to their attendance area school during the year? Can students transfer into the VLA during the school year?
The district provides all applicants equal opportunities without regard to sex, ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition or pregnancy, veteran status, gender or actual or perceived sexual orientation.