Gifted and Talented Education, or GATE, in Gilroy Unified School District is based on the belief that every child is entitled to the opportunity to develop his/her full potential through a variety of services based on standard-based instruction, the California State Frameworks and the California State Standards for Gifted and Talented Education.
Parents of GATE eligible students: If you are interested in having your child considered for the available openings in the GATE program at Rucker or Brownell for the 2019-2020 school year, please return a transfer request form which will be mailed to families AND a completed GATE Intradistrict Transfer form to the Gilroy Unified School District office by Wednesday, May 1, 2020.
- Parent Information
- GATE Site Plans
- Referrals/ Requests for Testing
- Helpful Links
- Antonio Del Buono Elementary
- Eliot Elementary
- El Roble Elementary
- Glen View Elementary
- Las Animas Elementary
- Luigi Aprea Elementary
- Rod Kelley Elementary
- Rucker Elementary
- Ascenscion Solorsano Middle School
- Brownell Middle School
- South Valley Middle School
- Christopher High School
- Dr. TJ Owens Gavilan Early College Academy
- Gilroy High School
- Mt. Madonna High School
- All referrals (completed either by teacher or parent) should be submitted to Educational Services.
- GATE testing is only done in the Fall and Spring windows and any referrals outside of this window will be held for the next testing window.
- A minimum of two years must have elapsed between initial screening and re-screening.
- Fall Screening Deadline for testing is October 5, 2018: New GUSD students in 3rd grade. Mobile Migrant 3rd grade. New GUSD 4th and 5th grade students with a referral
- Spring Screening Deadline for submitting a referral is January 31, 2019: All second grade students. Referred students who have two years of elapsed time between testing periods.
California Association for the Gifted (An advocacy group of parents and educators which provides information and publications addressing issues of gifted.)
Center for Talented Youth (CTY) (Offers academic opportunities, research, information, dissemination, consultation with educational organizations, public policy initiatives, and diagnostic and counseling services.)
SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of Gifted)
(A group that brings attention to the social and emotional needs of the gifted for both children and adults. They provide information, research and support groups.)